For the safe treatment of the patient, the following
pre-sedation instructions must be followed very carefully.
Food and Beverages
- It is essential that the stomach be empty at the time of the sedation appointment.
- All food and most liquids can NOT be consumed within 6 hours of the sedation appointment.
- Water and Gatorade may be consumed up to 3 hours BEFORE the sedation appointment.
- Do NOT eat or drink anything, even water, for at least 3 hours before the sedation appointment.
- Absolutely NO recreational drugs or alcohol 24 hours before or after the sedation appointment.
Medications and General Health
- It is essential to discuss with your dentist whether or not you should take your medications the day of
the sedation appointment.
- Refrain from smoking prior to the sedation appointment.
- Wear loose casual clothing for the appointment (short sleeve shirts & pants). We will need to place
monitoring equipment on you for the sedation appointment.
- For your comfort, you may wish to bring a small blanket. Being cold from the sedation is normal.
Under no conditions can you drive yourself home. A responsible adult (friend or family member) must
pick you up after the appointment and accompany you home. No taxicabs or public transportation.
Change in Health Status
If your general health deteriorates (e.g., cold, cough, fever, etc), contact the dental office prior to the day
of the appointment. If in doubt, please phone the office to discuss the change in health status.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask them.
It is important
that you understand the circumstances surrounding this treatment.